Defining goals and metrics for the Facebook Newsfeed.
First, let's understand what the goals of the newsfeed. Newfeed is Facebook's landing page. When users log-in they see the Newsfeed as their first stop within Facebook. I know from my experience, you'll see your networks posts, event activity, news from pages you follow, ads and other relevant content. The goal of the Newsfeed is to help you keep updated on the recent (or not recent) activity that is happening in your network. Your network can consist of friends, places you follow, pages you follow (music artists, communities).
When I think about metrics, I'll hone in on Facebook's motto which is connecting people from around the world to each other. Key metrics I feel like we should track when it comes to the Newsfeed are:
1) Daily Active Users & Weekly Active users & Monthly active users
2) Time spent on the newfeed from login to navigating away
3) On average within a session on Facebook, what % of time do users return to the newsfeed
4) Retention metrics such as: 7 day retention of users, 28 day retention of users
5) Engagement in the newsfeed this would include: reactions, comments and shares in newfeed content. Reactions would include: likes, hearts, sad face, angry face etc.
6) Click through rate for ads; this would help us understand whether ads are relevant
7) Number of connections made through the newsfeed page; friend suggestions are displayed on the landing page. I would want to understand if those are helpful to users