Design a Grocery app for Facebook:
Facebook has its mission - Give the people the power to build community and bring the world close together. There are multiple facets of our lives around which communities can be built. Grocery shopping is a routine weekly or multiple times a week task for most adults and people can share useful information with each other and connect over grocery shopping.
Will it be an app on FB or mobile app or a website? (assuming it would be FB app)
Will the goal of this app would be to drive more user engagement, business revenue, improve a sense of community among users?
I am taking the goal to be improving a sense of community if thats ok. For this, Grocery app for improving a sense of community can be either an app where people recommend stores where rare to find things are available or stores which are really good for somethings. Also share special grocery items for specific groups like kids, religious practices, old aged, etc.
I would now define a set of users and determine which would be benefitting the most, then identify their needs and based on prioritized needs, define which solutions could be designed to meet those needs.
There can be many potential user sets:
1. Pregnant ladies or Moms of kids upto 3 years
2. Old aged people above 60 years
3. Health conscious people
4. Busy professionals who want quick and health recepies and their grocery items
5. Specific communities which have religious ceremonies or festivals
I would want to pick up a user set which would be benefited maximum by continuously contributing as well as getting information from the community and would be substantial in numbers.
I believe that health conscious people would be a group i would want to focus on and there are increasingly high number of such people. Also these users have evolving needs of beginners, advanced, specific to different sports or activities as well as different diets. Thus a lot of value can be created through this community.
These users would have the following needs:
1. Share their activity or sport and interests details as initial data( put on weight, reduce weight or specific dietary requirements like reduce carbs, specific disease)
2. Can join subgroups based on their requirements
3. Can ask questions
4. Can have a session with an expert or answer a survey to find what is recommended for them
5. Can recommend foods and stores to find them based on their requirements
6. Can attend live sessions by experts
7. Would want them to be delivered
I would prioritize- 1, 3, 4, 5 to start with in order to understand if there is a meaningful community that can happen around this and then deliver related groceries
This would be an app like marketplace, offers, recommendations which user can have access to through Facebook and as per FB algorithm would show up in the organic feed of the user at times.
1. The user enters basic details like gender, goal, activity, any disease or deficiency, allergic reactions so that suggestions can be personalized, user will be given suggestions per day on the kind of recommended recipes and groceries based on initial data from a database which is initially added by FB based on inputs from experts. User can then later ask the questions from the community about recommended foods and stores where they are available. Also user can ask questions from the expert or book a session with them.
2. The user can fill in basic details like gender, goal, activity and then can follow some recommended expert profiles. User can go through posts from those profiles and engage by asking questions or answering some. A user can share their experience/recipe per their specific needs. Recommended recipes can show up at the top or through push notification each day if enabled to the user which will have list of groceries and stores to purchase them from. Experts can be engaged by Facebook as the users can also book sessions with them in return.
3. The user can share in basic details like gender, goal, activity and based on their dietary requirements, user can generate a weekly chart so that it can follow for a comprehensive diet over the month. Users can ask for questions and recommended grocery stores. Over time this data can be processed through NLP and user can be recommended grocery stores for their weekly charts. This will leave more room for the user to ask questions about deeper things like specific to a disease or allergy, sharing experience of buying at a particular store, etc.
I would now evaluate these solutions based on user value, risks, and engineering effort.
1. user value- medium, risks is low as the data is recommended through experts input, engg effort- med as decision trees for the recommendations or recommendation engine is to be developed which will learn and become better for the user.
2. user value: medium, risk is high that in order to engage the experts initially can be challenging so as to generate some content which a new user can engage with, engg effort: medium- recommendation engine
3. user value: high as now user can goto FB everyday and keep better track about their health through diet charts. risk: medium as not all users will be engaged to the diet charts as well as optimizing NLP so as to be solid enough to start answering user questions based on data gathered, engg effort: High
So i would prioritize 1st where some experts can be engaged or data can be pulled up and organized to start with before the system becomes attractive to experts on its own. Doing MVP with this even though 3 has high user value because its cost of implementation is high and risk is also high.
After we see the initial response based on user feedback- weekly charts, NLP auto answering can be further developed to enrich community experience.
Thus, in order to increase sense of community, i would create a solution that would allow users to ask questions about recipes and grocery stores as well as get recommendations from experts input on daily basis.