Initial Questions Explored:
- What is open rate? Is it (# of app opens) / (total # of app installs) in a given time frame?
- What was the initial open rate? (60%??)
- Any major changes made in the application?
- What is the timeframe we're looking at?
- Is it across all persona's?
- Is this happening across the globe or particular geography?
- Any external factors?
- Direct Competitors gaining traction
- Indirect Competitors gaining traction
- Opposing apps - (Time Saving Apps)
Let's assume that the drop of 15% is in the span of 6 months. Let's write the equation:
( # of app opens 6 months ago / # of app installs 6 months ago) - (# of app opens now / # of app installs now) = 0.15
Let's assume that the drop is across all identified persona's. (Explore, otherwise)
Let's also assume that the drop is global and not confined geographically (Explore otherwise)
Explore various competitors and the introduction of new entrants. Are there any time-saving apps, digital well-being apps that are gaining traction?
Check for the # of app downloads and its monthly trend in the last 6 months? Any changes? - Let's assume NO. There has been a relatively steady growth in customers.
Check the (Avg # of opens / user) and plot a monthly trend over the last 6 months? Any changes? - Yes.
This means that the problem is not the number of people uninstalling apps, there is a genuine reduction of app openings.
Mind share: The portion of a user's brain dedicated to thinking about Instagram - Let's call this the trigger.
Since there is a drop => That means that % of trigger for users to click Instagram is lowered.
Why has there been a lowered mind share amongst customers?
Because, lately, because of awareness of digital well being created by various health associations and articles across the globe, people have started to use digital well-being apps to curb social media usage.
- Provide valuable content on Instagram to drive user's engagement and provide a sense of well being.
- Show a health timer notification adhering to prescribed standards. (This shows Instagram cared about our digital well being.)
- Create a campaign to communicate that Instagram cares about customers and show the positive aspects of being on Insta and promote the above-mentioned features.