Approach to the product improvement question
1. Describe your understanding of the product, features, users and business model of the company (revenue generation)
2. Clarify with interviewer whether he has any expectation on
- Any Specific Pain Point to address
- Is it to improve an existing feature
- Add a new feature to improve the product overall
- Improve a platform (Web/Mobile)
- Improve a particular segment of Users?
- Improve a company goal: Brand, Revenue, User Aquisition, Traffic
else (if the interviewer is ok for you to identify a pain point)
- State what you see as the BIG pain point
3. Identify the use case to BIG PAIN POINTS or which have BIG IMPACT
- Value to the customer (High/medium/low)
- Development/deployment Complexity (High/Medium/Low)
4. Prioritise the Usecase/Solution
5. Explain how to measure the success criteria related to the feature you described
6. Wrap Up - Impact to the Goal, Alternate Solutions, Self-Assessment - Problems with existing solutions
1. Describe your understanding of the product, features and the users
Google Map helps users
1. Suggests an optimal route to move from Point A to Point B using various transportations.
2. Helps in searching various point of interests with ratings and location address
3. Automatic Re-Routing and alternative route suggetions
4. Rate a place
The Company generate revenue via - Advertisement on their platform
The Main user segments are - General commuters, Travellers (Tourist, Business travellers), General users searching for Bricks and Motors, private vehicle owners, Bikers, people using ride-sharing Apps etc
Main Pain Point I see is for Traveller who visit new places or countries they have issues related to
- Clear Guidance in terms of places to visit (Historical, Shopping malls, Pubs, Restaurants)
- Language - Communication
- Clear Guidance in terms of places to visit
Usecase & Solutions - Google Smart Guide for travellers
|Usecase||Solution||Value To Customer||Complexity|
|List top Locations to visit (Based on User Behaviour)||When the user selects to generate "Guide Button" Google Maps Generate a list of places to visit based on user ranking under various segments (Place to visits, Pubs, Restaurants, etc)||Medium||Low|
|Intelligent Itinerary ||Once User selects the prefered place to visit in each segment, it consolidates and automatically generates an itinerary connecting various places and approximate time at each places and the medium of transport between them. Multiple options are provided to the user and the user can cancel or add places, which results in re-creating another optimal itinerary.|
Itinerary can be modified based on available time.
|One-Stop payment guide Tour|
|Intelligent Itinerary can also have complete transportation assigned, by linking with prominent cab services like Uber or reliable government service, with a single booking (includes transportation and tickets to site seeing). Itinerary can be modified based on users budget allocation. ||High||High|
Now Google becomes the local guide, the interaction of the user is more with google maps rather than a local person, this eliminates the communication problem due to different language.
Feature development prioritization
The priority will be as per the above table, as the first two needs to be developed before the last point to be achieved, so I start from the first item.
To get user attention: whenever google sense you have travelled abroad/ or far away distance and opens google maps, a Pop-Up nudge is presented of the new features with the top list of places and restaurants to visit during the time he is in. (Google can also use the date, place and time by the flight travel itinerary and plan an itinerary which spans few hours to few days)
Success Criteria: (specific to the feature you are suggesting)
1. We can see how many people have clicked on the Nudge and the session time per user
2. How many people repeatedly visited the features each time they visited
3. How many people actually travelled to the place which was suggested (using GPS location)
last but not the least
4. Revenue generated per user based on commission made using this feature
Wrapping: (customer first then revenue)
1. This solution will provide users with a very optimal, safe and realtime guide... we can call this app as Google Local Guide.
2. Users can feel safer as google has integrated with credible transportation and is tracked.
3. Users can less worry about arrangements and relax more with friend and families as the alternative transportation arrangements are made in case of delay.
4. This will open up additional stream of revenue (from restaurants, Site seeing places, Transportations, Hotel Stays).
Places, where there is no dependable transportation ex: Uber, Lyft or in developing countries and rural areas the Google Guide will have challenges in providing an End to End solutions.